Missing Ben disappeared on the Greek island of Kos in July 1991
The mother of Ben Needham, who vanished from the Greek island of Kos in 1991, says she has been contacted by a woman convinced her boyfriend is the missing tot. Picture: PA
The mother of Ben Needham, who vanished from the Greek island of Kos in 1991, says she has been contacted by a woman convinced her boyfriend is the missing tot.
Ben Needham, 21 months old, was last seen playing outside his grandparents’ farmhouse before he vanished from the Greek island of Kos on July 24, 1991.
In a new revelation, Kerry Needham, 53, told reporters that she had been contacted by a woman who was convinced her boyfriend could be missing Ben.
Mum-of-two Kerry told The Sun that she was keeping an open mind about the disappearance, but did admit that several tip-offs over the years had not been forthcoming.
Kerry told the newspaper: “I keep a very, very open mind.”
Ben Needham, 21 months old, was last seen playing outside his grandparents’ farmhouse before he vanished from the Greek island of Kos on July 24, 1991. Picture: PA
“When I got that email last night, I didn’t jump for joy and think this could be him, because I’ve got no photograph, I’ve got very little information.
“The woman just said there are a lot of coincidences, a lot of things don’t add up from his past.”
She confirmed that she had passed the information on to South Yorkshire Police, who had been leading the search for Ben on the British side since he vanished.
The force is now planning a new DNA test to see if the man is indeed the missing boy.
“It’s a case of getting more information out of that person without being too cold but without being too involved either,” Kerry said.
A theory emerged in 2012 that the toddler had been accidentally crushed by a digger behind the property.
This theory was supported three years later by an anonymous tip saying the digger driver, Konstantinos ‘Dino’ Barkas, had told him on his deathbed he had been responsible and buried Ben’s body.
Kerry says she has passed the information on to South Yorkshire Police. Picture: PA
However, Ms Needham doesn’t believe this is what happened to her son.
She said that she now believes that he may have been trafficked, having been told by a Greek man of a group of “gypsies” who practised what he called “illegal adoption” between the 1950s and 1990s.
She said: “I don’t know when it dawned on us because… we’re not stupid but abductions and kidnappings, they happen in films.
“We were thinking why would anyone want to abduct Ben? We didn’t have any money for a ransom, which is what we thought a kidnapping was.
“We knew nothing about child trafficking and human trafficking back then, so it just didn’t enter our heads.”
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load