The dating expert, who revealed she had cancer in 2023 and recently stepped away from the hit series citing health reasons, says she has exhausted all treatment options
The Married At First Sight regular Mel Schilling has revealed that she has terminal cancer just weeks after announcing she would step away from the show for health reasons.
In a post to Instagram on Friday, the 54-year-old psychologist who joined Nine’s hit series as a dating expert in 2016, said that after almost two years of treatment, doctors have told her there is nothing more they can do.
“I honestly don’t know how long I have left,” she wrote. “But I do know I will fight to my last breath and will be surrounded by the love and support of my people.”
In a lengthy post, accompanied by a photo of her with her husband and daughter, Schilling recalled receiving her original diagnosis: “In December 2023 I was diagnosed with colon cancer after a tumour the size of a lemon was discovered during a scan. ‘Terry,’ as I called him, was successfully removed and I was initially given the all clear,” she wrote.
A couple of months later, she learned that the cancer had returned, in her lungs.

Schilling stepped away from MAFS to focus on her health. Photograph: Matt Monfredi/Channel 4
“Over the past two years, while filming MAFS, I underwent 16 rounds of chemotherapy and was later told I was eligible for a groundbreaking clinical trial specific to my gene type, due to start in March 2026. Once again, my optimism soared that I might beat this thing,” she said.
“Over Christmas, however, I began experiencing blinding headaches and numbness down my right side. After many tests I was told the cancer had spread to the left side of my brain and, despite subsequent radiotherapy sessions, my oncology team have now told me there is nothing further they can do.
“Hearing those words changes everything. So that’s where I am now. My light is starting to fade – and quickly. But I am still here, still fighting, and surrounded by the most incredible love. Simple tasks have become incredibly difficult and I am relying on my beautiful family to look after me.”
Schilling thanked fans for their support over the last two years, writing: “So many of you sent the most wonderful messages … They have meant more than I can ever properly express and have helped shape the mindset I’ve needed to keep fighting. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.”
She also offered some advice. “If I could leave you with one thing, it would simply be this: if something doesn’t feel right, please get it checked out. It might just save your life.”
News
IT WAS ALL OVER THE PROPERTY MONEY… — COUSIN ACCUSED OF K!LLING Prince McFarland IN SH0CKING FAMILY TRAG-EDY THAT LEFT QUEENS STUNNED
A shocking family tragedy in South Jamaica, Queens, New York has left a community stunned after a heated dispute over family property reportedly ended with two cousins dead inside a home that had been put up for sale. The incident,…
You just never know when it’s time to go…. — FAMOUS RAPPER REPORTEDLY K!LLED BY FAMILY MEMBER OVER $600K QUEENS HOME, FANS LEFT STUNNED
A family property dispute in Queens, New York ended in shocking tragedy after rapper Prince McFarland was k!lled in a shooting connected to a home worth more than $600,000. According to information shared in a video summarizing the case, Prince…
HE DELETED THE FOOTAGE… — CHI-LLING NEW DETAIL IN THE Kayla Atwood CASE LEAVES MANY PEOPLE STUNNED
The disappearance of 32-year-old Kayla Atwood in Pensacola, Florida shocked the public after a series of disturbing details gradually emerged throughout the investigation. According to authorities, Kayla was last seen on January 3, 2024 after dropping her children off at…
VERY DANGER0US – POLICE CONFIRM 3 PEOPLE WANTED AFTER MAN SH0T 15 TIMES IN KENTUCKY, ONE DETAIL LEAVES EVERYONE STUNNED…
“They should be considered armed and dangerous,” the Newport Police Department said in a statement Tiance Combs, Kortney Alford and Terry Moses.Credit : Newport Police Department Police in Kentucky are searching for two men and a woman wanted in connection…
MAN SH0T 15 TIMES — MAN GUNNED DOWN IN BRU-TAL ATT-ACK AS THREE SUSPECTS REMAIN WANTED, COMMUNITY LEFT IN SH0CK
“They should be considered armed and dangerous,” the Newport Police Department said in a statement Tiance Combs, Kortney Alford and Terry Moses.Credit : Newport Police Department Police in Kentucky are searching for two men and a woman wanted in connection…
SHOCK ALLEGATION EMERGES — Prosecutors CLAIM Kouri Richins TARGETED LEAD DETECTIVE AFTER ARREST
The posting of the ‘gay dating profile’ is just one of the ‘new to the record’ incidents prosecutors’ included in their sentencing memo Kouri Richins.Credit : Trent Nelson – Pool/Getty Prosecutors are sharing details about a number of actions that they…
End of content
No more pages to load