Scroll down to find out what projects Stephen will be working on – while Holly’s left in the cold
Dancing on Ice might have been frozen out by ITV — but host Stephen Mulhern’s career is just heating up.
After The Sun revealed yesterday that the skate show was being rested after 19 series, I can share that the channel has moved to swiftly renew Stephen’s contract and book him to front a string of shows.
8
Holly Willoughby has been frozen out of ITV roles after the DOI axe, but Stephen Mulhern is going to be busier than everCredit: ITV
But that’s not the case for his DOI co-host Holly Willoughby, who seems to be out in the cold.
As it stands, the broadcaster says it has no new projects confirmed for Holly for the first time since she joined ITV in 2004.
A source said: “Despite the sad news that Dancing on Ice won’t be returning next year, this clearly isn’t going to slow Stephen down any time soon.
“His 2025 schedule is already packed, with Celebrity Catchphrase and Deal or No Deal continuing to be solid favourites.
He is also launching a brand-new travel show, Accidental Tourist, later this year.
And there’s positive signs for a second series of You Bet! following its successful return last year.
“That’s not the case for Holly, though, with nothing confirmed for her at ITV right now.”
Holly took to social media yesterday to express her sadness over the news about Dancing on Ice.
She wrote: “I will miss it hugely, but I count myself so lucky to have had it for as long as we did. Finally thank you to you for watching, you’re the best!”
While Holly may have no ITV jobs planned, her schedule with Netflix is heating up, with filming for series two of Celebrity Bear Hunt coming up.
Watch moment Holly Willoughby is left red-faced as Dancing On Ice co-host Stephen Mulhern makes x-rated joke on live TV
Holly first began on Ministry of Mayhem when she was 23 years old, and continued to become ITV’s most important female host.
The source added: “Holly is a brilliant presenter and will always remain busy even if it’s not at ITV.
“But the channel remains heavily invested in Stephen, who’s earned his crown as one of ITV’s biggest stars.”
Gru are you?
8
BGT’s Simon Cowell was dressed up as Gru by a troop of dancing Minions on Britain’s Got Talent.
8
Evil villain Gru from the Despicable Me filmCredit: Alamy
8
The dancing group of Minions on Britain’s Got TalentCredit: Tom Dymond
He’s known for his blue jeans, tight t-shirts and designer stubble.
But Simon Cowell is looking a little less pristine this weekend when a troop of dancing Minions take over Britain’s Got Talent.
The ITV show’s top boss is besieged by the scamps, who drape him in fancy dress to look just like the evil villain from the Despicable Me film, Gru.
Wrestled into a bald cap with comedy long nose and a scarf, Simon will be glad to reach the live shows next month.
For the first time, the run-up to the grand final will air on Saturday nights instead of across one week.
Simon said: “Saturday nights are a bigger night than say a Tuesday or Wednesday.
People have jobs, they work late, the kids might have things on or be away.
“But Saturday night can be a party, the family can all get together and watch the show together, so it makes sense to me!”
Catch the latest auditions on ITV1 and ITVX on Saturday at 7pm.
Got more designs on Alan
8
Interior Design Masters returns for its sixth series on BBC One from April 10, with guest experts including Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.Credit: BBC
Comic Alan Carr and home style guru Michelle Ogundehin will be putting ten hopefuls through their paces as Interior Design Masters returns – with one lucky winner securing a life-changing contract.
The sixth run of the series, which starts on BBC One on April 10, will also feature guest experts, including Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.
Contestants include Ayisha, a design student from Brighton who has modelled in Vogue, and textiles designer Holly, from Salford, who has collaborated with recycling clothes brand Lucy & Yak.
Design and technology teacher John, product director Victoria, visual merchandising consultant Rita, textiles teacher Emma, giftware designer Craig, mum Briony, social media executive Bradley and sexual health charity manager Ese complete the line-up.
Former Blue Peter presenter Konnie Huq will host new prank show Undercover Education on Channel 4. It features industry pros put through their paces by an “intern” who turns out to be a further education teacher, and has been made with the help of the Department for Education.
Sport a hot topic for doc
8
Playing for Our Future will follow sports presenter Reshmin Chowdhury as she discovers how sports are adapting to severe weather patternsCredit: Getty
The effects of climate change on sport are being scrutinised in a new documentary.
Playing for Our Future will follow sports presenter Reshmin Chowdhury as she discovers how sports are adapting to severe weather patterns.
Starting at Villa Park in Birmingham – one of four football clubs at risk of being partially or totally flooded by 2050 – Reshmin looks at what is being done to avoid disaster.
While at Tottenham Hotspur’s stadium, she learns about sustainable practices such as renewable energy.
Reshmin also looks at cricket, and how Australia is changing the scheduling of games to avoid dangerously hot temperatures for players.
It will be available to stream on discovery+ from April 1.
Three Songs of Praise specials will air over the Easter weekend. One will see Gogglebox star Rev Kate Bottley cover the women of the Easter story, while singers Aled Jones and Mark De-Lisser will lead the other two episodes that look at hymns and gospel music.
Floyd’s murder revisited
8
Backlash: The Murder of George Floyd features interviews with his family, as well as the Minneapolis police chief Medaria ArradondoCredit: Handout
A new BBC documentary will mark five years since the murder of George Floyd – the police killing that set America ablaze and sparked a wave of protests across the world.
The feature-length film, which will air on BBC Two in May after a release in cinemas, will tell the story of his death, and look into the global reaction in the days that followed.
Backlash: The Murder of George Floyd features interviews with his family, as well as the Minneapolis police chief Medaria Arradondo, who testified against Derek Chauvin the officer who killed 46-year-old George.
It will also involve UK celebs including comedian Munya Chawawa, musician Che Lingo and actress Nathalie Emmanuel – who were all at protests demanding change.
Director Kwabena Oppong says his film looks at what has – and hasn’t – changed since the murder.
Lack of the Irish, Pierce
8
Pierce Brosnan in new movie MobLandCredit: Paramount
Pierce Brosnan spoke with a strong English accent as James Bond, but he is having to dig very deep into his Irish roots for new Guy Ritchie series MobLand.
The star lost his accent after moving from Ireland to London aged 11 – but his new role in the Paramount+ series will see it return.
On The Jonathan Ross Show this weekend, Pierce reveals: “Guy sent me the episodes last summer. It’s London but an Irish family – I thought I was doing an English accent.
“Day one, Tom Hardy and myself, a three-page scene. Guy says, ‘Go Irish, more Irish’. I can’t remember what my Irish accent sounds like! I called a dialect coach.”