Meghan Markle’s estranged dad, 81, is dating his nurse, 46, after health scare: ‘I feel truly blessed’
Meghan Markle’s estranged father, Thomas Markle, says he’s “blessed and beyond happy” now that he’s dating his much-younger nurse.
“I never expected to find joy and happiness again at my age. I felt neglected and sad for so many years but now I am enjoying life again,” Thomas told the Daily Mail in an interview published Saturday.
“After so many tough times I feel truly blessed to have found someone very special who takes such good care of me.”

Thomas Markle, pictured above going for a shopping trip in Baja, Mexico, revealed he’s found love with a nurse 35 years his junior./ SplashNews.com

Thomas, 81 — pictured above shortly after his move to Cebu, Philippines — met his new girlfriend, Rio Canedo, 46, while recovering from his leg amputation surgery in the Philippines.GDoggy / Karl Larsen PR Photos / BACKGRID
The 81-year-old was introduced to his new girlfriend, Rio Canedo, 46, while recovering from his leg amputation surgery in the Philippines.
Canedo works in the town of Cebu, which is where Thomas and his son, Tom Jr., 59, moved to in January 2025.
“I know some people will say hurtful things but I don’t care,” Thomas said of his romance while acknowledging their drastic age difference.
“I want to talk about this because I never thought I would ever be happy again. I want people to know you’re never too old to find peace and love.”

Thomas moved to the area with his son, Tom Jr., (both pictured above in their first public sighting since their move) in January 2025.GDoggy / Karl Larsen PR Photos / BACKGRID

“After so many tough times I feel truly blessed to have found someone very special who takes such good care of me,” Thomas, seen above being pushed through a Los Angeles airport, said of his new relationship.LionsShareNews / BACKGRID
“There’s a lot of negative things going on in the world and if my story can give a little hope to one person then I’m happy,” he continued, adding that “the haters will hate.”
“But, to be honest, I don’t give a damn. Life is for living. There’s nothing more important in life than love.”
In early December, it was revealed that Thomas Sr. was admitted to the intensive care unit after undergoing emergency surgery.
At the time, his son had told outlets that he had been rushed to the hospital after getting sick at home.

Thomas (seen above arriving at a hospital in Tijuana, Mexico, in 2022) was reported to have undergone emergency surgery in early December.BACKGRID

At the time, it was reported that Thomas, seen above stepping out of his Rosarito residence, was rushed to the hospital after he had become sick at his home.Dsanchez/CPR / BACKGRID
“After my stroke things were not great. I wanted to go to the other side of the world to a place where the people are kind,” Thomas told the Daily Mail of his move.
“The Philippines have a gentler way of life. I never expected to meet Rio and have my life changed in such a wonderful way.”
“I finally feel safe and well-cared for.”

“After my stroke things were not great,” Thomas (pictured above grabbing to-go food in Rosarito, Mexico) explained. “I wanted to go to the other side of the world to a place where the people are kind.”/ SplashNews.com

Thomas, pictured above in Cebu, Philippines, earlier this year, added that he “finally” feels “safe and well-cared for” thanks to Canedo.GDoggy / Karl Larsen PR Photos / BACKGRID
Canedo takes care of Thomas with a strict no sugar diet, which has shown some results as the outlet noted Thomas’ weight loss. She also encourages Meghan’s estranged father — who is currently struggling with pneumonia — to drink more water.
“I’ve got pneumonia but I’m not feeling sorry for myself because I have Rio taking such good care of me,” said Thomas.
As we previously reported, the Duchess of Sussex did reach out to her father amid his recent health issues despite their distanced relationship. But, Thomas tells the Daily Mail that he’s moved past his strained relationship with his famous daughter.
“I hardly watch the news. I live in a world where people are kind to each other. The nurses and doctors here in the Philippines are wonderful. People here don’t have all the worldly goods we have in the West but they respect and care for older people.”

When it comes to his daughter Meghan Markle (pictured above at the 2024 SXSW Festival), Thomas brushed off their strained relationship, saying he finally feels like he “can laugh again” after being “sad about Meghan for so long.”Getty Images

“Life is good,” he closed his update.BACKGRID
“There are young trainee nurses here who we call the ‘munchkins’ and all I hear all day long are peels of laughter,” he continued.
“I was sad about Meghan for so long but now I finally feel like I can laugh again. Life is good.”
A rep for Meghan did not immediately respond to Page Six’s request for comment.
News
“‘MEGHAN MARKLE THINKS SHE WAS MEANT TO BE QUEEN’” — ALLEGED LUXURY HOTEL DEMANDS SPARK FRESH ROYAL BACKLASH
The delusion emanating from Montecito has officially shattered the boundaries of reality. In what is being described as the most “thirsty,” arrogant, and downright bizarre public relations disaster of the decade, Meghan Markle’s alleged list of demands tied to a potential UK…
SOMETHING IN MONTECITO MAY BE TRYING VERY HARD TO STAY HIDDEN” — PRINCE HARRY’S SUDDEN RESPONSE ABOUT MEGHAN MARKLE SPARKS MAJOR SPECULATION
The carefully curated, multi-million-dollar facade surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex has experienced another massive, structural fracture. In a highly defensive and explosive virtual briefing from his California mansion, Prince Harry has officially broken his silence regarding the relentless, everyday online criticism aimed…
“I WILL ALWAYS BE HRH, DUCHESS OF SUSSEX” — MEGHAN MARKLE’S ROYAL TITLE DRAMA SPARKS FRESH OUTRAGE
Meghan Markle has once again found herself at the center of public scrutiny, as critics argue that she continues to leverage her royal title for personal branding and commercial gain. Despite stepping back from her official duties as a working…
TOM BOWER ‘HIT THE SUSSEXES WHERE IT HURTS’ — HARRY AND MEGHAN ABANDON ‘CLEAN PR’ STRATEGY FOR ALL-OUT WAR
They’re done being quiet about it. On Saturday, March 14, 2026, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle released a statement so blistering it read less like routine damage control and more like a declaration of open war. Their target was veteran…
“TRAVELLED 6,000 MILES TO BE HUMILIATED” — MEGHAN MARKLE’S LATEST SWITZERLAND SPEECH SPARKS GLOBAL BACKLASH
Meghan just travelled 6,000 miles to be humiliated – I almost feel sorry for her Meghan Markle hoped for a global stage for her speech – not a smattering of baffled onlookers. Meghan speaks in Geneva (Image: Getty) When you fly…
BREAKING: PALACE MAKES UNEXPECTED MOVE AFTER MEGHAN MARKLE DELIVERS SH0CKING SPEECH IN SWITZERLAND
Senior royal set to head to Geneva just two days after Meghan Markle Meghan Markle spoke in Switzerland yesterday. Meghan Markle spoke at an event in Geneva yesterday (Image: Getty) The Duchess of Edinburgh is due to visit Geneva just two days…
End of content
No more pages to load