Approximately 1,500 residents have been evacuated in Niscemi, Sicily, due to the destructive natural disaster
An Italian town is now hanging at the edge of a cliff after a recent storm caused a severe landslide in the area.
The hilltop town of Niscemi, located in southern Sicily, was hit with strong winds and rain amid Storm Harry last week, and the aftermath caused a 2.5-mile-long section of a cliff to collapse in the town on Sunday, Jan. 25, according to the BBC and The Times.
Footage obtained by PEOPLE show houses hanging from the edge of the sharp cliff that the natural disaster created. In one shot, a car can be seen teetering halfway off the edge as pieces of the saturated soil continue to crumble around it.
While no injuries have been reported, approximately 1,500 residents have reportedly been evacuated as the situation is expected to worsen in the town, which has a population of about 25,000 residents.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/italy4-landside-012826-0fb2b2a08959443a8fb66e7be4c2e620.jpg)
Car hanging from cliff in Niscemi, Italy.Fabrizio Villa/Getty
According to The Guardian, the chasm has continued to widen since Sunday, sparking fears among locals that the town’s historic center could potentially being swallowed up and destroyed.
Following the tragedy, the mayor of Niscemi, Massimiliano Conti, urged locals to take the “dramatic landslide” seriously, the outlet reported.
“I don’t want anyone to take this event lightly,” he reportedly said in a social media video. “Fortunately there were no injuries, only damage to homes.”
Conti said the town is continuing to monitor the situation, and admitted, “There’s no denying it – we’re scared,” The Guardian reported, citing an interview he did with local outlet La Repubblica.
“The situation is dire, especially since the creaking continues, and the rain isn’t helping either the relief operations or the technical surveys.” he added. “We’re monitoring the situation non-stop, because the situation could change at any moment.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1003x0:1005x2):format(webp)/italy3-landside-012826-6f56ab1989894284aef60a8da8c695ac.jpg)
Landslide in Niscemi, Italy.Marco Bertorello/AFP via Getty
According to the outlet, the director general of Sicily’s civil protection authority, Salvatore Cocina, predicted that “all homes within a 50-70 metre radius will collapse.” As of Tuesday, Jan. 27, schools remained closed in the town.
Speaking to The Times, a local named Sergio Francesco Cirrone said his home is one of the structures now hanging off the edge of the cliff after being split in half.
He said once he and his family saw the signs of desctruction, they immediately evacuated: “We saw cracks appearing in the walls of our house and fled, taking nothing with us.”
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load