“We’re not quitting. We’ll find her. Yeah,” Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said in a Feb. 20 interview
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos; Nancy Guthrie.Credit : NBC News/Youtube;Nathan Congleton/NBC via Getty
As the search for Nancy Guthrie enters week four, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos says the investigation into her disappearance is “still growing.”
In a new interview with NBC News conducted Friday, Feb. 20, and published Saturday, Feb. 21, Nanos opened up about the status of the high-profile investigation into the 84-year-old mother of Today co-host Savannah Guthrie.
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department (PCSD) launched an urgent search for Nancy on Feb. 1. Asked if the investigation is growing or shrinking three weeks later, Nanos told NBC News, “In terms of leads and working and getting out there, I think that’s still growing, yeah.”
“It’s never fast enough for the sheriff,” he told the outlet. “I want it like you: ‘Come on, guys, let’s go, let’s go, let’s find her.’ But the reality is that I also know that sometimes things take time.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(999x0:1001x2):format(webp)/_Pima-County-Sheriff-022226-9c167876fd47465aad41952884164b73.jpg)
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos speaking with NBC News on Feb. 20, 2026.NBC News/Youtube
Nanos also confirmed that there are not currently any names that the department is looking into.
Nancy was last seen on Jan. 31, and the PCSD and FBI believe she was kidnapped in the middle of the night on Feb. 1 by a masked, armed person seen in surveillance footage appearing to tamper with Nancy’s doorbell camera. Investigators are “getting a little closer to identifying some of the other articles” worn by the person, Nanos told NBC News.
“Not just that backpack — like, the shoes, the pants, the shirt or jacket,” added the sheriff.
Nanos also told NBC News that the DNA samples recovered from inside of Nancy’s Tuscon, Ariz., home are mixed — they contain DNA from more than one individual — which has made it more difficult for authorities to run them through databases.
“Our lab tells us that there’s challenges with it,” he told the outlet. “The technology is moving so fast and in such a frenzy that they think some of this stuff will resolve itself in a matter of weeks, months or maybe a year.”
Nanos also shared a message with the Guthrie family, as the search for Nancy enters its fourth week.
“We’re not quitting,” he said. “We’ll find her. Yeah.”
Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE’s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.
The sheriff’s message to Nancy’s loved ones comes just days after he ruled out her family members, including all siblings and spouses, as suspects — and explained how.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(599x0:601x2):format(webp)/Nancy-Guthrie-020926-3-fcbbae84324a49b2b7869be778739afc.jpg)
Nancy Guthrie in 2019.Nathan Congleton/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty
“We talked to them, we took their phones, we took their computers,” Nanos explained in a statement published on Tuesday, Feb. 17. “I mean, we did everything. We processed their vehicles, we processed their homes. They have been really … They’re victims.”
The FBI previously offered a $100,000 reward for any information leading to Nancy’s recovery or an arrest in the case. On Wednesday, Feb. 18, that reward doubled after the PCSD received an anonymous donation.
Anyone with information about Nancy’s disappearance is asked to please contact 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324) or the PCSD at 520-351-4900.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load