A Georgia high schooler charged with fatally running over his teacher in a prank gone wrong expressed his “deepest sorrow” as he vowed to honor the loving educator’s memory after the tragedy.

Jayden Wallace, an 18-year-old student at North Hall County High, faces a slew of charges — including first-degree vehicular homicide — after math teacher Jason Hughes, 40, slipped outside of his own home and was fatally run over on March 6.
“We are a family in deep remorse and grieving over such a tremendous loss in our North Hall community. Jason Hughes meant the world to our son, Jayden,” Wallace’s family said in a statement, according to 11Alive on Tuesday.
“He took the time to invest in Jay and poured his love into him, making a lasting impact. Along with the rest of our family, Jay expresses his deepest sorrow and sincerest apology to the Hughes family.”

Jayden Wallace was charged with first-degree vehicular homicide in the March 6 death of teacher Jason Hughes.Hall County Sheriff’s Office
Wallace, who is also facing criminal trespassing, littering, and reckless driving offenses, personally addressed the high school golf coach’s death.
“I pledge to live out the remainder of my life in a manner that honors the memory of Coach Hughes by exemplifying Christ. He will never be forgotten,” the teen said in the statement.
Hughes had been excitedly waiting outside his home in Gainesville, Ga., to “catch” Wallace and friends “rolling” his property with toilet paper as part of an ongoing “prank war” tradition with the school.
Hughes’ home was a clear target for the prank war, given that teachers’ homes were worth two points, according to last year’s rule set, and both he and his spouse were teachers at North Hall High School.

Jason Hughes was allegedly struck by Wallace’s truck outside his home and died of his injuries at a hospital.Facebook/Cliff Cape

A home targeted during the North Hall High prank war in 2023.Instagram/nthjuniorseniorwars23
After “catching” the pranksters, Hughes ran after the teens but slipped and fell into the road because of the rainy weather and was run over as Wallace attempted to drive his pick-up truck away, the outlet reported.
The five teens gave first aid to the injured teacher before first responders arrived and rushed Hughes to a hospital, where he later died of his injuries.
Hughes’ wife, Laura, has previously called for the charges against the teens to be dropped.
”This is a terrible tragedy, and our family is determined to prevent a separate tragedy from occurring, ruining the lives of these students. This would be counter to Jason’s lifelong dedication of investing in the lives of these children,” the heartbroken widow said.

Wallace, who is also facing criminal trespassing, littering, and reckless driving offenses, personally addressed the high school golf coach’s death.Instagram/Kristin Wallace

Jason Hughes and his wife, Laura, in an undated photo shared on Facebook.Facebook/Laura Palmer Hughes
The freak accident came hours after school officials called on the students to end the annual tradition as students in previous years had taken things “too far.”
Wallace was arrested and booked into Hall County Jail. He has since been released on a $1,950 bond.
The other teens, identified as 18-year-olds Elijiah Owens, Aiden Hucks, Ana Katherine Luque and Ariana Cruz, were arrested outside Hughes’ home and charged with criminal trespassing and littering
Hall County District Attorney Lee Darragh said he would look into dropping the charges against the teens, saying they were charged without his office being contacted.
“I have talked with the family on the phone, and will meet them in person soon. Their request to drop the charges will be given great deference. I was not consulted by law enforcement before these charges were leveled. I will be reviewing the evidence as I should and will be deciding soon,” Darragh told WSB-TV.
Hughes leaves behind his wife and their two young sons.
Community members have rallied around the devastated family, raising over $450,000 in a GoFundMe that has raised over $454,000 to be used for future college expenses for Hughes’ sons.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load