
On December 30, 2025, as the nation reflects on one of its most harrowing crimes, Denise Fergus, the mother of murdered toddler James Bulger, has once again found herself at the centre of a storm of emotion and public scrutiny. The phrase “the best thing to happen in 30 years” echoes her words from two years ago, when Jon Venables’ parole was denied in December 2023 – a rare moment of relief in a decades-long fight for justice. Yet today, with Venables facing a new parole review scheduled for late 2025, fears are mounting that a fresh bid or legal manoeuvre could overturn years of hard-won progress, potentially freeing one of Britain’s most notorious child killers.
The murder of two-year-old James Bulger on February 12, 1993, remains etched in the national consciousness as a symbol of unimaginable evil. CCTV footage captured 10-year-olds Jon Venables and Robert Thompson leading the trusting toddler away from the New Strand Shopping Centre in Bootle, Merseyside. What followed was a brutal ordeal: the boys tortured James, battered him with bricks and an iron bar, and left his mutilated body on a railway line. The crime shocked the world, sparking debates on juvenile justice, evil in children, and societal failures.
Venables and Thompson were convicted of murder in November 1993 – the youngest murderers in modern British history. They served eight years in secure units before being released in 2001 with new identities and lifelong anonymity orders, a decision that ignited public outrage. While Thompson has reportedly lived a law-abiding life under protection, Venables’ path has been marked by repeated failures. Recalled to prison in 2010 and again in 2017 for possessing indecent images of children, he has been deemed a persistent risk.
In December 2023, the Parole Board rejected Venables’ bid for release, ruling he remained a danger to children due to his “long-term sexual interest in children,” history of secrecy, and inability to be honest with probation officers. Denise Fergus described the decision as “the best thing that has happened to me in 30 years,” expressing “pure relief and elation.” She told reporters: “I have fought for justice for James… this is a huge day for us.” The ruling allowed her family a brief respite, with Fergus noting it was the first time the system had “gone my way.”
But that victory now hangs in the balance. In September 2025, the Parole Board confirmed a new review of Venables’ case, referred by the Justice Secretary, following standard processes for life-sentence prisoners. Sources indicate the hearing is set for late 2025, with a decision possibly by year’s end. Venables, now 43, could argue for release under strict licence conditions, including a new identity.
Adding to the tension is speculation around a “shocking new move” from Venables. While no official appeal against prior denials has materialised recently, insiders suggest he may challenge aspects of his ongoing detention or push aggressively in the upcoming hearing. Past patterns show Venables has exploited legal avenues, including refusing to attend hearings if family representatives are involved. In 2023, he boycotted his own parole evidence session for this reason. Reports from prison sources describe him as manipulative, with one claiming he “feels like a celebrity” and views himself as wronged.
Denise Fergus has been vocal in her opposition. Through the James Bulger Memorial Trust, she campaigns tirelessly, launching a victims’ helpline in March 2025 on what would have been James’s 35th birthday. “This is mental torture for me,” she said earlier this year upon learning of the latest review. “What’s changed? He’s got a lifelong record of reoffending.” Fergus vows to submit powerful victim impact statements and fight for Venables to remain incarcerated, insisting he is a “monster” who should never be freed.
The case has prompted broader reforms. Successive governments have tightened parole rules for serious offenders, introducing ministerial veto powers and greater victim involvement. Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood has reportedly assured the family she opposes release. Public protection remains paramount, with experts noting Venables’ risks – including potential progression to contact offences – make freedom unlikely.
Yet the family’s anguish persists. Ralph Bulger, James’s father, has described the recurring hearings as “endless trauma.” Brothers of James have spoken of never forgiving Venables. Public sentiment echoes this: petitions and campaigns demand full life terms for such crimes.
As 2025 draws to a close, the upcoming parole decision looms large. For Denise Fergus, another denial would reaffirm the 2023 triumph – a small but powerful victory for her son and all parents seeking justice. But the threat of reversal underscores the fragile nature of closure in this enduring tragedy. James Bulger’s story is not just about loss; it’s a reminder of resilience, the cost of forgiveness in the justice system, and the unyielding pursuit of accountability.
In Fergus’s words from two years ago: “We can finally enjoy Christmas now.” This year, with the hearing approaching, that joy is tempered by uncertainty. The nation watches, hoping the Parole Board once again prioritises safety over second chances for a man who has squandered them all.
News
“AFTER FIVE YEARS… THE MASTERPIECE IS FINALLY COMING BACK.”
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
“IF YOU PRETEND TO BE A CRIMINAL LONG ENOUGH… DO YOU EVENTUALLY BECOME ONE?”
“BREATHLESS: THE SUICIDAL GAMBLE OF TIGHTROPE WALKERS — THE NEW THRILLER REDEFINING UNDERCOVER DRAMAS!” — A brutal emotional reckoning that keeps viewers’ eyes glued to the screen for every single second. Prepare for a deep, gloomy, and deeply unsettling cinematic…
“THE MADISON JUST DROPPED A TWIST SO DARK EVEN THE CAST WAS LEFT SPEECHLESS…”
“STUNNING: AN UNPRECEDENTED TWIST IN ‘THE MADISON’ IS TRIGGERING A SOCIAL MEDIA QUAKE — EVEN THE VETERAN CAST WAS LEFT SPEECHLESS!” — As the Clyburn family’s New York secrets gradually surface right before the final three episodes. Don’t dismiss this…
“VIEWERS SAY THIS IS THE MOST BRUTAL CRIME DRAMA BBC HAS RELEASED IN YEARS…”
Originally airing on RTÉ in 2021, Kin is an Irish-set crime drama that follows two feuding families in Dublin, led by rival leaders Frank Kinsella (Aidan Gillen) and Eamon Cunningham (Ciarán Hinds). Co-created by Peter McKenna (The Last Kingdom, Red Rock) and…
“INSIDE THE REAL-LIFE ‘HANDMAID’S TALE’…’
If you haven’t heard of Gloriavale yet, strap in because Paramount+’s new documentary, Devotion: Obedience or Betrayal, aims to take audiences deep into the New Zealand commune that partly inspired The Handmaid’s Tale. The three-part series, which arrives next month, offers unprecedented…
“VIEWERS SAY THEY STARTED THIS SHOW AT NIGHT… AND SUDDENLY IT WAS 3AM.”
Looking for a compelling new crime drama to binge-watch this week? Netflix might just have the answer. Berlin and The Lady with an Ermine – the highly anticipated second season of the Money Heist prequel – has had viewers glued to their screens since dropping earlier…
End of content
No more pages to load