Six people, including two teenagers, are now presumed dead following the disaster that struck a busy campground at Mount Maunganui in Tauranga on Thursday, triggered by heavy rains

Human remains were discovered at the popular summer holiday campground in Tauranga’s Mount Maunganui area on Saturday, prompting a shift from rescue to recovery mode
New Zealand authorities on Sunday suspended recovery operations for victims of a major landslide after fresh cracks at the site posed immediate danger to rescue teams.
Six people, including two teenagers, are now presumed dead following the disaster that struck a busy campground at Mount Maunganui in Tauranga on Thursday, triggered by heavy rains.
Human remains were discovered at the site on Saturday, prompting a shift from rescue to recovery mode.
Police Superintendent Tim Anderson said recovery work was halted after rescue teams found newly developed cracks at the site. “As a result, we’ve had to pull all our staff out for the safety of everyone concerned,” he said, adding that decisions were being taken on a day-by-day basis with no immediate timeline for resumption of recovery.
New Zealand Prime Minister, Christopher Luxon, said on Saturday the news of discovery of human remains was “devastating”. “To the families who have lost loved ones – every New Zealander is grieving with you,” he said.
The landslide has buried parts of a popular summer holiday campground in Tauranga’s Mount Maunganui area, where families were enjoying the season. The site remains unstable, with geotechnical experts monitoring risks.
Families of the missing continue to wait at the Mount Maunganui site, with police and emergency services providing support.
In a separate but related incident, heavy rains earlier in the week triggered a landslide in the neighbouring suburb of Papamoa (south of Tauranga), killing two people (including a Chinese citizen) in a house that was demolished by falling debris.
The MetService has warned of potential further heavy rain in parts of the North Island, though conditions are expected to ease in the coming days.
This event echoes the devastation of Cyclone Gabrielle in February 2023, which caused widespread landslides across Hawke’s Bay and Gisborne, killing 11 people and leaving thousands homeless.
News
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
End of content
No more pages to load